Tuesday, January 24, 2017

3 Alternatives To Owning A Pool Table

Alternatives To Buying A Pool Table
Not everyone has the room or money to buy a pool table. I was recently looking at picking up a professional level option for my garage, especially since my goal in this next phase of my life is to become a professional pool player. The cost of a professional solution is going to be several thousand dollars. I’m talking official, regulation size, and for training purposes. I want to recreate the tables that I’m going to have to play on in order to qualify and win the big tournaments. Now, you can emulate what I’m doing, or you could focus on some alternatives to owning a pool table. The following are just 3 alternatives that I’ve looked at right now, since I can’t just go out and buy a professional level solution.

Find A Pool Hall


Living in Southern California, I was able to join a pool hall near my home. It was a Latin American hall where a lot of nefarious characters hung out. The only reason why I was able to join them was because I was Latin American, and I paid my dues. No, not beat downs, simply a monthly fee and a signup fee. It’s like going to join a gym, only this was about pool. Now, I wasn’t entering tournaments or getting hustled, because I made it clear that I wasn’t going to jump in. However, there were some idiots that got played a lot. My goal was to learn, and that’s it. If you want to learn how to play pool, you can find a pool hall and join. Just be careful, there are sharks out there.

Take Lessons From A Professional


If you’re serious about learning how to play pool, look at the classifieds section of any major newspaper for lessons. Sometimes, you’ll see pros offering lessons. If you can’t find anything there, then you can always look online for pool lessons. This is going to cost you a lot less than going out to buy a pool table, that’s for sure. I found lessons near me for ten bucks a lesson. It was at a professional pool player’s home, and it wasn’t that bad. I only took a few lessons, due to scheduling constraints, but I was able to gain a few tips for how to break, and how to hit the right run of any table.

Go To A Bar


The next thing that you can do, and perhaps the easiest alternative to just buying a pool table is to go to a bar. If you’re an alcoholic, I don’t recommend this. However, if you have no problem with alcohol, and don’t mind going into bars, then by all means, make sure that you find local bars that have a pool table or multiple options. Near me, for instance, if you look online for buy a pool table, or any search term, you’ll find 100 locations that have pool tables. Some are large corporate offerings, and some are small. You may have to pay for the privilege to play the table, and you may have to bring your own stick. Sometimes, you’ll have to buy a couple of drinks too. Bars usually have ok tables, but compared to buying a pool table, you’ll find that it’s cheap.

As I said to open this article, not everyone can buy a pool table. I couldn’t get a pro level options this time around, but am now looking at a few options overall. If you’re going to get moving forward with any pool table solution, make sure that you take your time to look at alternatives. If your alternatives don’t pan out, then you can always buy a pool table online, and get to work learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment